Thursday, October 16, 2008

Take-Lock-Hide




A few days ago I had the distinct pleasure of having my car broken in to. I have now been told that this is a normal part of Dallas life, so yeah, that is totally something that they should put in the welcome packet. I came out of my apartment to go watch a friend play a football game and saw the most beautiful and horrible thing. Piles of glass that looked like blue topaz gemstone, my birthstone ironically, on the ground and inside my car. As I looked around I noticed it was gone, all of it gone. My brand new GPS system, iPod, my Ralph Lauren Romance perfume and all of the chargers. As time went on and the police came and went I started to realized that my makeup was gone. I mean really, who steals someone else’s half used make-up. (I think that confused me the most.)

So for the next two days I drove around with cardboard taped up to my door and went through it making sure that there was nothing else left in the car of value or that had any personal information on it, just in case it happened again. (Including Proof of Insurance with blacked out information) Here in Dallas they have a whole campaign to help people protect themselves against auto break-ins. There are signs everywhere. I think that it should have been my first warning. The campaign says “TAKE-LOCK-HIDE”. It is supposed to remind you to lock your car and hide your belongings. Sadly, what they mean is for you to hide it inside your house. And that someone else would be the one’s taking things. Who knew?

No comments: