Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Person of Contradiction




I have discovered that I am a person of contradiction, well at least as far as my television shows go since I have moved here to Texas. I have always prided myself as being a person who watches “intelligent television”. Who stays away from those mindless shows like Real World or Laguna Beach; someone who try’s to focus her attention more on shows like Charlie Rose, The West Wing, Gilmore Girls. Shows that challenge your mind and make you think about the world and politics and stretch you mentally. When I first moved to Dallas I started to watch The Hills as a nostalgic thing since my brother and I would watch in together before I moved. I always fought it and actually made fun of him for watching it and yet here I was watching it alone. Then things only got worse....A friend had been talking about Gossip Girls for several weeks, and there wasn’t anything good on so I thought I would check it out, yet while watching it i saw a preview for a new show, Privileged, and I was hooked. Then the new 90210 started up and all do my friends were reminiscing about the original, I was the only one not watching the new show so I thought I would check it out. That is one thing about being new to Dallas is that for the time being I don’t have a lot of friends so I have quite a bit of time on my hands and a pretty empty DVR.

So this is where we ended up, a DVR split between shows that inspire me to tears and are intelligently stimulating and then the polar opposite, shows that are an escape from the real world. Shows that are so fake that they are laughable most of the time, but somehow very endearing. How did this begin? I could blame it on my brother, on his addiction to The Hills, but sadly I think that this is where I would probably be anyway. Stuck in the contradiction.

1 comment:

AmyBethJames said...

I know what you mean! I used to feel kind of stupid for watching some shows and loving them but then I sort of changed my mind and decided, who cares? There is a time for silly deliriously over the top shows about rich white teenagers. And that time is seven pm on Mondays, when I watch Gossip Girl. :)