Thursday, October 9, 2008

Tonsil's

**Disclaimer: I am about to tell a potentially embarrassing story about someone, so in an attempt to protect their identity, I will just not say who it is. I will just refer to them as “person x”

When “person x” was a child he had his tonsils out. After the surgery he wanted to keep them, for some unknown reason, so they were kept in this spice jar. Occasionally over the next few weeks and months we would find out that he had taken them out of the jar and put them in his mouth. Finally I think his family took them away and hid them for a little while. Okay, so that is the end of the disgusting details.

So I have noticed something about myself over the past couple of months that made me think about this story. I went through a really tough time about 2 years ago and kind of shut down emotionally and everything for about a full year. When I think back about that time and and how things are now it is drastically different that I don’t even feel like the same person. But I have noticed that even now when things get rough I find myself drawn to thinking a lot about that time, which is so odd to me. I start to want to listen to the music that was a prominent part of that time if my life. To me it feels kind of like when “person x” would put those tonsils back in his mouth. It was an unnecessary part of his body, and it is not necessarily healthy for me to go back and constantly dwell on a painful place. Maybe this is something that that everyone does in some way or another, so it may not be a big deal, but something I noticed and something I definitely want to work on.

So this is not an entry about being sad, cause I’m not, but just a realization that I thought I would share with you, my friends.

1 comment:

AmyBethJames said...

This is a great analogy! It is so hard to leave some things behind, but you're right - in certain situations it really is unhealthy the way we turn back to things. I think having a memory or object that gives us comfort can be good, but not when it becomes an obstacle to moving forward.