Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Adventure Begins.....

So it was, we set out at 2am on our fateful trip from Nashville to Dallas. As the road went by and the hours dragged on it became more and more real, Jeremy in the moving van and Tash and I in the truck racing the GPS.  4 stops for gas and 10 1/2 hours later we were here. We arrived at my new home and I began the long process of signing the multitude of papers for my new fabulous home away from home. Sadly, there was a problem with the carpet cleaning and then a couple other issues so the apartment wouldn't be ready for several hours. The very tired road warriors waited out the remaining hours roaming the aisles at Target and in the parking lot of the apartment.  When we finally got in to see the apartment and stood huddled in the kitchen waiting for the carpet to dry I was struck with a horrible feeling in my heart. I stood looking around the rooms that would be my home and there was nothing that felt right about it. I just felt lost in that space.  The inside of the apartment felt cramped and old, the outside was dirty and scary. A little ghetto, to be honest.  I stood there and just knew that I could not live here, I could not live here.

I then began the frantic search for a new place to live (with just over 30 minutes left before everything closed down).  We had my dad looking places up online and giving us options and calling them as well, then Jeremy, Tash and I driving door to door to complex's trying to see if anyone had an opening for move in the very next day.  It was the craziest 30 minutes.  We finally found a place and I had 3 options and was willing to stay open to get me through the process.  The best part was that I actually liked it better then anything I had seen before. We got it all done and still made it to dinner with some friends (mind you we were almost an hour later then we had originally planned, but it all worked out in the end). We moved in as planned on Saturday as if nothing had changed.  It was pretty amazing.

The move was insane, you know the drill, boxes and boxes and boxes. Up the stairs, down the stairs.  I had great friends that helped and some of my friends family came and chipped in amazingly to make the day even possible.

Now four days in there are no more boxes left in the apt, most things have found there new place (pictures will be forthcoming) and life is starting to fall in to a routine.  The new normal that will be my life here in Dallas.

No comments: